Thursday, July 31, 2008

Then & Now

Last night I was reflecting... and realized that Friday it will be one complete year since I moved to L.A. from N.Y. It's so odd how much things can change in just ONE year. My life is so different now. I don't feel like writing it all out in detail, so I'll just list the things that I've noticed:

One year ago I...

... was waiting tables in a divebar in Brooklyn. Now I work for an established agency in Hollywood.

... did not own a car. Borrowed my dad's 1998 ford taurus... and was still afraid of driving on the highway. Now I'm speeding daily on L.A.'s freeways... in my 1997 Nissan (nice!).

... was in love with a guy 10 yrs my senior and excited about moving to L.A. to live with him. He was "the one". Now I'm single and living in the Valley.

... actually thought writing inquiry letters to agents about my writing was the way to get my foot in the door. Now I throw away inquiry letters that are written to my boss.

... was afraid to do anything alone. Now I do almost EVERYTHING alone!

... lived in a house with my mom, dad, brother, sister, 3 cats and a dog. Now I live with a 1 cat.

... ate rice krispies every night while hanging with Sharon in the kitchen. Now Sharon lives 3000 miles away and we talk on the phone SOME nights.

... was taking jogs on ocean parkway down to brighton beach. Now I work out in an overpriced gym across the street from my job.

... was interning at The Hub Studios in Union Square. Now I have interns working for me.

... would choose between Kings Plaza, 34st, or NoHo when I needed to go clothes shopping. Now I don't have the cash to go clothes shopping.

... lived on a block. A real block. Now I live in a motel-esque type of establishment on a street that's about 9 miles long.

... still liked the taste of Coca-Cola. Now I drink Diet Sierra Mist and Sprite... soon I'm going to try to drink just water.

... thought YouTube was just a website where I could find clips to tv shows and news reports. Other than that, seemed pretty useless. Now I have a channel that I'm practically obsessed with building on.

... still asked my mom to iron my clothes when I was feeling lazy. If I feel lazy now, I pick something that doesn't need to be ironed.

... was celebrating my last night in New York at a lounge in the city with friends from all different eras of my NY life. Now I'm planning to go to a "Hot in Hollywood" tomorrow with people I've known for about 9 months... and probably vlogging from it in order to plug the red carpet interviews I will be doing in 2 weeks.

... thought I had a plan.

And more stuff. But you get the idea. OH... and one year ago I had no idea what it felt like to experience an earthquake...

No comments: