Monday, September 22, 2008

Fast - Day 1 - Food Is Everywhere

Well, I made it through the first day. It wasn't so bad. This lemon juice stuff must be magic or something because I should definitely be feeling more hungry than this.

Today I learned a lot about myself and my relationship with food. Which is awesome because that's already a benefit I've gained from this. So even if I quit now (which I won't!), I'll still have learned some things about my eating habits and I'll be able to consciously change them.

The morning went by quickly. Around 12pm I was waiting for my stomach to growl... as it normally does around that time. Lunch in Hollywood is 1pm... so the entire hour of 12pm starving and on the edge of my seat. But not this time. This time I was cool.. no growl.. no glancing at the clock every 5 minutes. In fact, I accidentally stayed 10 minutes over. It was sort of refreshing.

At lunch time I distracted myself by going to the bank and taking a walk around the neighborhood. And I realized... food is EVERYWHERE. I felt like there was at least 10 different restaurants or quick snack spots on every block. And they were eating. THEY WERE ALL EATING!

Whew. But it was okay. I still didn't feel hungry. But... I craved it. I craved the action of sitting and eating. I longed for the taste of a sandwich or an Asian fusion dish or whatever the hell else I could get my hands on. I just wanted to smell, chew, taste food. But I didn't NEED it. It was weird.

Lunch passed and I was once again safe from the exposure to food.

But then... oh but then... I get a pop up from the office manager. He sent it out to the entire office.

"Everyone please come into the kitchen for Phil's birthday! Cake in the kitchen!"

Cake in the kitchen. OF COURSE there's cake in the kitchen. Why wouldn't there be cake in the kitchen on the first day of my fast?

We enter the kitchen. We sing. We laugh (well, THEY laugh). And then he cuts the cake... and he hands me a slice. I say no thanks and run the hell out of there.

As the day went on I continued to feel okay with my lack of food. But my cravings became stronger. I would fantasize about the foods I COULD be eating. I began to REALLY take note of people snacking around me.

I also realized the lack of food sort of slowed my day down. Munching on some pretzels or crackers somehow helps the time pass. Which is another lesson learned... I often eat out of boredom. But don't we all?

When I got home, I started to feel hungry. So I drank some more lemon crap juice and told myself to shut the hell up. The family next door was cooking. They were cooking fish, which normally would kind of gross me out because I hate the smell of cooking fish for some reason (even though I eat it, I don't know either). But this time it was the most beautiful smell. The most alluring smell.

Yeah... then I drank some more lemon juice.

And now I'm drinking tea.

But I made it. I made it through day one.

I still fucking hate tea.

Weight Loss:
Not sure, forgot to weigh myself yesterday. Besides, this fast isn't really for that reason.
Hunger: Slight feelings of hungry. Overall not too bad.
Emotions/Mental State: I feel pretty good actually. Maybe even better than on a food filled day.
Daydream Food of The Day: Roscoe's Waffles & Chicken... mmm.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

um.... that whole thing and we didnt get a poop update. this is critical information to share in fasting blogs. ser.

bigwhiteseth said...

I'm with Cam.

Where's the damn poo-watch 2008 update?

JhonQ said...

LMAO, yeah, i'm gonna pass on the poop breakingnews :P

Reading your blog was like i had written it, but with fast in front of food :P cause i'm only doing the fast-food/sugary/junk stuff diet.. yes i did started it, to support you and to see if I can do it on my own. I think just fast-food is a challenge, i can't imagine what it's like for all food o_O
Keep it up! :)